Thursday, September 5, 2013

Taco Seasoning

I have used this recipe for years as an alternative to the taco seasoning that comes in a pouch at the store. The ingredients are most likely already in your spice cupboard and this tastes much better, without additives and msg. I am from Ohio, in the heart of Amish country. I found this great little cookbook at a store in Mt. Hope and it has long since been one of my favorites! It just so happens to have a great recipe for taco seasoning. Also, Mt. Hope has this great health food store, run by local Amish, that sells bulk spices, as you can see below. We no longer live in Ohio, but my dear mother-in-law sends me what I need and keeps me supplied! God bless her!

 

Here is what you will need:
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin powder
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container if not using right away. This recipe is equal to one store bought packet, about 3 Tbsp. You could make a large batch and use 3 Tbsp. each time a "packet" was needed. This is such a great blend and a wonderful alternative to the pre-packaged taco seasonings. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
 
Momma Makes it Better!
~Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment