Monday, September 23, 2013

Homemade Ranch Dressing

 Good bye bottled Ranch dressing! You are going to absolutely LOVE this homemade Ranch dressing. It is simple to make and you can make it full fat or light. I of course make it full fat, because well, that is just what I do. I don't buy low fat or skim products due to the fact that they have to replace that fat with something else, usually a high sugar carbohydrate, as I learned in my college Food Science courses. And you can forget artificial sweeteners! No thanks. I'll take the real thing. 100 Days of Real Food has a snippet on why to not choose the low-fat versions. Check your labels before you buy. You may not realize what you are actually getting. Ok, end rant. Back to the Ranch. Go make some!
First, you will need to make the seasoning mix. This can be used to season other things as well, not just to make the dressing, so it is handy to have in the cupboard. There are two recipes below. One is for a small supply, and one is for a larger bulk supply to keep on hand. Caffeinated Chronicles was nice enough to break the larger recipe down from The Crafty Blog Stalker. Choose whichever you wish.

Small Batch
2 1/2 T Parsley Flakes
1 1/2 T Onion powder
1 T Garlic Salt
 1/2 T Black Pepper
 1/2 T Garlic Powder
3/4 t Sea Salt
3/4 t Dill Weed

Large Batch
1 1/2 C Parsley Flakes
3/4 C Onion Powder
1/2 C Garlic Salt
1/4 C Black Pepper
1/4 C Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp. Sea Salt
2 Tbsp. Dill Weed


Now to make the dressing. This is the mixture that I have come up with and think is the best tasting. I have tried other mixtures from other blogs and mine mixture is my favorite, go figure. Mix together:

2 Tbsp. prepared seasoning mix
1 C Sour Cream
1 C Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2-1 1/4 C Whole Milk (Depending on desired thickness and taste. Start with 1/2 C and add from there.)

There are many ways you can make this dressing. This recipe is how I make it, but you can experiment using any combination of milk, buttermilk, plain Greek yogurt, sour cream, and mayo. I will add that I do not care for it with buttermilk in it. It is too sour for my taste.

I really hope you enjoy this Ranch Dressing. We find it to be delicious!

Momma Makes it Better!
~Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment