Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Absolutely Perfect and Easy Pizza Dough

Disclaimer: This recipe uses white flour! I have not tried it yet with whole wheat, but I will be experimenting with it soon.

So now that you have read the disclaimer and are okay with the fact that this recipe uses white flour (I know it's bad, but this recipe is oh so good), get ready to make a dough that comes out perfect every time! I have to give all the credit to Lauren's Latest for creating this superb recipe! She has far more amazing photos than I do and if you want step by step photos, check out her page.

Here is what you will need:
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 1/4 tsp. Active Dry yeast
  • 1 Tbsp. Honey
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 cups bread flour (give or take- I use all-purpose and it turns out perfect)
Instructions:

I use a stand mixer set with a dough hook, but a large bowl and spoon will work too. Stir yeast and honey into warm water. Allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until it begins to bubble or foam. Add salt, oil, and half of the flour. Mix. Once that flour is incorporated, begin adding the remaining flour until you get a consistency that is slightly tacky, but does not stick to your hands. Lauren's Latest has great pics of this. Once the dough has reached desired consistency, knead in the mixer (or by hand) for 6 minutes (maybe longer if hand kneading). Yes, 6 minutes. Set a timer. I promise the ends results will be worth the effort of timing it. My son loves staring at the mixer going around and around for 6  whole minutes, so this provides toddler entertainment as well. :) After 6 minutes in the mixer, the dough should be very smooth and elastic. The bowl should be clean. Lightly grease bowl and dough. Cover and let rise for 1-2 hours, or until double in size. Then it is ready to be rolled out and used. Makes about a pound of dough.


For pizza: I sprinkle cornmeal on parchment paper and then roll my dough into a circle on that. That makes it really easy transfer to my pizza stone. I preheat my oven to 400-500 degrees F with my stone inside (I prefer 400 degrees. 500 will make a much more crunchy crust). Top with all of your yummy toppings and transfer to stone (simply lift parchment paper and put directly on stone. Easy!). Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.

Enjoy!

Momma Makes it Better!
~Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment