Friday, August 30, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

As requested, here is the easy-peasy recipe for homemade laundry detergent. I love it. Our clothes come out clean and smelling fresh. I found the recipe at one of my favorite blogs, DIY Natural. Their blog is like pure heaven to me!

For the laundry detergent you will need:
  • A bar of soap (about 4.5 oz. size), shaved. I use Kirk's Castile, but others have also recommended Fels-Naptha and Zote. DIY Natural has more recommendations.
  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup Washing Soda (not baking soda) *Learn how to turn baking soda into washing soda at Penniless Parenting.

 Step 1: Shave the bar of soap. I like to recruit my husband for this! He is much faster than me.

 
 
Step 2: Add Borax and washing soda. Mix well and it's ready to use!



I use 1 tablespoon per load. You may use more (2-3) for heavily soiled or large loads. One tablespoon has been plenty for all our laundry. Upon another momma's recommendation, I add a little bit of shaved Fels-Naptha (I don't use it in my regular recipe because I have not researched the ingredients) for my husbands dirty, sweaty cammie uniforms to get the yuck out. My fellow military spouses know what I mean! Field cammies are hard to get clean!

For more recommendations, information, cost comparisons, and links regarding the use of Borax, please visit DIY Natural's original post.

Be sure to let me know how it works for you and don't forget, Momma Makes it Better!

~Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment